10/09/2005

Bipartisan Issues & My Issue of the Day

">Link

Sometimes I think I should just devote myself to one "cause" and put all my efforts and donations into it, but I feel passionately about so many of them, it's hard for me to single one out. For today, however, I have done just that. I got snail mail from the Brady Campaign www.bradycampaign.org, www.millionmommarch.org and was about to pitch it into the recycling bag, when I decided instead to open it. I doubt that I will be able to keep this one as my only focus for long, but for the moment, it is. I think perhaps it, like the issue of Embryonic Stem Cell Research http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics3.asp and it can and should be a bipartisan issues.

And, there is actually some good news. So, here's the GOOD NEWS about my issue of the day: sensible gun laws.

Despite intensive lobbying and threats by the NRA, the governor of Illinois signed SB1333 which requires that people who buy guns at gun shows submit to the same Brady background checks as those who buy from authorized gun retailers. This seems like it is a no-brainer, but apparently gun shows don't usually have to abide by laws....strange, huh?

The Brady campaign plans to put up billboards at Miami Int'l Airport and distribute leaflets, as well as major newspapers Warning Visitors about the Risks of Visiting Florida after the "Shoot First" law takes effect, October 1st. http://www.shootfirstlaw.org/ And the last bit of good news is that they are working on getting bills passed in CA that would make it easier for police to trace crime guns and bullets by stamping a distinguishing serial number onto a cartridge when it is fired and require manufactureers to stamp bullets sold in CA with an ID number that police can trace to the store where the ammo was sold. Again, this seems to me as common sense. I have a feeling it is not so for the NRA. http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/release.php?Release=661

This is my kind of BRADY BUNCH!!!!!

The sad part is that when I did a Yahoo search on this issue, the majority of hits were by those against this law, those who hold GUNS and rights of hunters and gun owners and of course, the NRA way, way above the safety and well being of United States citizens, most especially the children. Instead they are proud to promote pictures of cute little children wearing Camouflage Clothing and toting Guns. Where is the sanity???

So, for now....That's my Issue of the Day.

Sherril
"If by a liberal they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, their civil liberties.. If that is what they mean by a "liberal" then I am proud to be a liberal. ": John F. Kennedy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i really like your help property spanish blog site , my site www.discount-spanish-property.co.uk has lots of help property spanish related resources