6/03/2009

Julie & Julia



I just watched the trailer for the movie, Julie & Julia, opening this August and it looks like it's going to be the kind of movie that is a delight to watch. It stars my all time favorite actress, Meryl Streep.







From the trailer, what becomes immediately apparent is Meryl Streep's uncanny talent to be right on the mark in reproducing accents and styles of speech. The trailer shows a black and white video of Streep as Julia in the kitchen and I thought it was an old video of Julia Child, herself. This looks like it's going to be the kind of movie in which Streep will shine. I hope so.

The movie is Nora Ephron's adaptation of two bestselling memoirs: Julie Powell's Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen




and My Life in France, by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme.














The movie intertwines the story of Julia Child's climb to fame as the world-renown master chef with another true story about Julie Powell,

played by Amy Adams, who was a secretary in New York City and wrote a blog, called What Could Happen, chronicling her attempt to cook all the recipes in Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, all 564 recipes in one year, 365 days.

The blog was/is right here on bloggerspot.com. It got a wide following and it got noticed by Little Brown and Company Publishing, which picked it up and out of that came the memoir, Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen, which was published in 2005. It was a mere hop, skip and jump from blog to memoir to movie.

Now that is cool. It should only happen to me. OK OK, I know...my blog is all over the place with no apparent cohesiveness, BUT STILL!!

In any case, I look forward to seeing Julie & Julia.




























4 comments:

Katharine Thomas said...

I too saw this trailer. Besides owning the aforementioned classic cookbook by Julia Child and also trying to replicate some of her recipes (have I ever discussed my treasured cookbook collection?), this promises to be a delightful movie. Meryl Streep is so well cast in the role of the famous American chef and Amy Adams (did you see her performance in Doubt?) is a rising star. A perfect duo indeed!

Oh if only we weren't separated by 3000 miles!

Sherril said...

I think you and hub should move back east.

S

KFavrow said...

Sherril - Your wondeful insights are worthy of much wider publication than allowed in your blog. Your theater/movie reviews need to be endorsed/distributed by a media power. Have you ever submitted anything to New Yorker? I think you should start doing so!

Sherril said...

Thanks goodness for my two Kaths.